Children can be rewarded with a token for our Reading Book Vending Machine. They are awarded with a book to take home and keep by demonstrating our school values.
The Book Bus
We have a unique and exciting school library aboard a London Double Decker Bus. As they step onto the bus, our children enter a reading world submerged in a forest theme. They are able to relax and read among the trees and animals, sparking their imagination as they delve deep into the world of the characters they explore.
Our children are able to take out books from the library and they will return in future weekly library visits.
Reading at home
Questioning your child during or after reading will help them to comprehend what they read and develop their reading skills. You don’t need to ask every question, just choose 2 or 3 each time… Reading questions:
- What has happened in the story so far?
- What do you think will happen next?
- Who is your favourite character? Why?
- Who is the character you like least? Why?
- Do you think the author intended you to like / dislike this character?
- Does your opinion of this character change during the story? How? Why?
- Find 2 things the author wrote about this character that made him / her likeable or unlikeable?
- If you met one of the characters from the story, what would you say to him / her?
- Which part of the story is your favourite / least favourite? Why?
- Would you change any part of the story? How?
- Would you change any of the characters? How?
- Which part of the story was the funniest, scariest, saddest, and happiest? Find some evidence in the text to support your opinion.
- Do you think the title of the book is appropriate? What would you have called it?
- What is the genre of the book: - Sci-Fi, mystery, historical, fantasy, adventure, horror, comedy or…?
- Find 2 sentences, which describe the setting.
- Is the plot fast or slow moving? Find some evidence in the text, which supports your view.
- If the author had included another paragraph before the story started what do you think it would say?
- Would you like to read another book by this author? Why?