We admit children to our school in the September after their seventh birthday.
Whenever possible we like children to visit the school before they are admitted to get to know the building, and the staff with whom they will be working. In the Summer Term of each year children due to join us in September visit us for part of the working day, and their parents may attend an information evening which welcomes them to the school.
Our staff visit all the Infant Schools to discuss the children due to transfer and we also co-operate closely with staff from local Secondary Schools to ensure a smooth transition to the next stage of education.
Admission from 1st September 2017 – 31st August 2018
Ravenscote Junior School is a large junior school in Frimley. The school participates in the Local Authority co-ordinated admissions scheme where an equal preference system operates (for details please click here)
The 2017 Published Admission Number PAN is 155 in Year 3.
All children applying for a school place in Year 3 starting in September 2017 whose statement of educational needs (SEN) or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan names the school will be admitted.
Priority for admission arrangements from 2017 will be as follows:
- Looked After Children and Previously Looked After Children
- Exceptional Arrangements
- Children of staff at the school
- All other applicants
If there is oversubscription in any of the above criteria priority will be given on the basis of nearness to school measured in a straight line from the address point of the pupil’s house, as set by Ordnance Survey, to the main gate on the Old Bisley Road.
The child’s home address excludes any business; relative’s or child minder’s address and must be the child’s normal place of residence. In the case of shared custody it is the address where the child spends most of the time. All distances will be measured by the computerised Geographical Information System maintained by Surrey’s Admissions and Transport team. Any offer of a place on the basis of address is conditional on the child being resident at the address provided.
The address to be used for the initial allocation of places to Year 3 will be the child’s address at the closing date for application. Changes of address may be considered in accordance with Surrey’s Co-ordinated Schemes if there are exceptional reasons behind the change, such as if a family has just moved to the area. The address to be used for waiting lists, after the initial allocation, will be the child’s current address.
Any offer is conditional upon the child living at the appropriate address on the relevant date. Parents have an obligation to notify the school of any change of address.
Where two applicants live equidistant and share priority for a place we will apply a random allocation to determine which child would receive priority.
Looked After Children and Previously Looked After Children
Looked after and previously looked after children will be considered to be:
- children who are registered as being in the care of a local authority or provided with accommodation by a local authority in accordance with Section 22 of the Children Act 1989(a), e.g. fostered or living in a children’s home, at the time an application for a school is made; and
- children who have previously been in the care of a Local Authority in accordance with Section 22 of the Children Act 1989(a) and who have left that care through adoption, a child arrangement order (in accordance with Section 8 of the Children Act 1989 and as amended by the Children and Families Act 2014) or special guardianship order (in accordance with Section 14A of the Children Act 1989).
Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs
Children who have a statement of special educational need or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan and names Ravenscote Junior School in the statement, will be admitted to the school. These children will count towards the school Published Admissions Number.
Occasionally there will be a very small number of children for whom exceptional arrangements apply which mean that Ravenscote is the only appropriate school for the child to attend. Evidence from a consultant doctor will be required for medical cases or documented evidence from any support services involved for other sensitive family circumstances will be required.
These exceptional arrangements may override other admissions priorities.
Definition of “A Serving Member of Staff”
- any employee that has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time of which the application for admission to the school is made. For normal round admissions the date that will be used to assess the length of time that a member of staff has been employed will be the closing date for applications 15 January 2016. For In year applications the date that will be initially used, will be the date that the application is made.
a member of staff recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage and this has been identified in their letter of appointment.
This excludes all temporary/sub contracted staff.
Places are then offered to siblings of pupils who would be attending the school at the time of admission i.e. September 2016. A sibling is a brother or sister, or a half-brother or half-sister or a step-brother or step-sister, living at the same address, or foster children or adopted children living at the same address.
For information about appeals please follow the link below: www.surreycc.gov.uk/schoolappeals
In Year Admissions
2018/2019 Admissions Policy
On 25th Januray 2017 the Trust Boards met to consider all the responses to our admissions consultation for the 2018 - 2019 intake.
Following this meeting the policy the board approved the policy which is listed below for 2018 - 2019.